This waterfall is one big reason to go to Abra. Not because of its size, but its extraordinary appearance. Unlike most waterfalls in the Philippines, which are formed by roaring cascades, Kaparkan Falls is distinguished by multi-tiered spring pools/terraces that gently cascade down the forest.
Kaparkan Falls Facts
- Kaparkan Falls are also known as Mulawin Falls and are found in Sitio Kaparkan, Barangay Caganayan, Tineg in Abra Province.
- The best time to go to Kaparkan Falls are the months of August and September during the rainy season.
- Kaparkan Falls are approx 500 metres long and 60 metres wide
- The Falls drain into the Tineg River
- They are 47km from Bangued and the Jeepney needs chains on its tyres for the last 15km along a narrow muddy track
How to go — Kaparkan Falls is located in Tineg, the northernmost town of Abra. Getting there is an adventure in itself as it requires a 4×4 ride along very rough roads. The ride from Bangued takes around 2 to 4 hours, depending on road conditions. Tineg tourism department organizes transport on a military truck or jeepney. The trucks leave Bangued at 7-8am, while the return trip from the falls departs at 2pm. The months from August to November is the best and only time to schedule your trip since the waterfall dries up during the other half of the year.